Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Updates about the Blog

Hey readers, this is Kriken, just wanting to give some news and notes. First off, as you can see, I have set up a poll for the order of my theme month next month. Yes I will go back to the 3 posts a week format and move the season 20 reviews back to Wednesday. I'll be posting my April schedule around the end of March, like usual, I can only list the episodes that are scheduled to air. RBY and I are working hard on the next Lovecraft's Corner, I think you will all like the next installment, it should be rather good.

But since, updates aren't what you want to see, I'm also going to include a preview of Sunday's episode.

According to Fox (Yeah this is just a cut and paste, so sue me) the story is:

"When Homer inadvertently humiliates Bart in front of a stadium crowd, Marge encourages Homer to enroll in a fathering enrichment class taught by therapist Dr. Zander. Shocked to learn that Homer often strangles Bart for mischievous behavior, Dr. Zander conducts a series of treatments with the help of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to teach Homer what it feels like to be young and small. But when Bart learns that the therapy sessions have transformed Homer into a pushover, he takes advantage of Homer and becomes a school bully. Hoping therapy could also cure Bart of his bullying habits, Marge enlists Dr. Zander's help to patch their relationship."

So, where do I begin? First off, why does Kareem Abdul-Jabbar even need to be in this story? By my understanding of that synopsis, he'll appear for one (Or two) scene to hurt Homer and leave. When this show was great, it managed to give its guest stars an actual purpose in the episode, now it's just "Hi I'm *Insert celebrity here* and I just decided to pass by Springfield to say hi. Oh, there's my *Insert exit method* gotta go." Secondly, do we really need an episode dedicated to Homer's strangling of Bart over the years? I mean, I'm all for someone getting help if they need it, but this is a mainstay of the show. I just have a hard time envisioning Homer voluntarily going to therapy because of something he does all the time. Yeah I know all will be resolved in the end, status quo will be achieved, but I just have a hard time even trying to accept that this concept will even air. This has "Duffless clone" written all over it (If you replace beer with violence, and humor with painful dialogue). Maybe I'm just nitpicking here with the whole "Homer will go into therapy over strangling Bart" but it just seems so wrong to me, maybe it's just how bad the season's been to date and I'm just putting on the "This episode sucks" blinders. Who knows, maybe the writers might actually make a funny episode, maybe it'll be okay, maybe hell will freeze over, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment