Sunday, May 2, 2010

Opening

1 minute into "Surveil with Love" and I'm already cringing. While the idea is creative no doubt it fails as an actual couch gag. If i wanted to see the cast of the Simpsons sing "Tick-Tock" I would look for someone on Youtube to make it as a bad music video, having this as a couch gag makes this opening fail. Basically a bad song-of the week on the radio is turned into a couch gag, in two years this gag will fall flat on its face by most people. There have been way too many song-of the week songs that have been integrated into popular TV shows, they are usually considered great at the initial airing but after time has passed either it's a popular song or a very forgettable song. I classify this as the latter, I really thought that the Simpsons would never reduce themselves this low to being culturally relevant but now I have to grab my smelling salts and incenses at collect myself while I try to put that behind me and not allow that to affect my view of this episode. I probably wouldn't have had much of a problem with this if they used an established song like something from Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, etc. but seeing how this was a song that you would hear every day on the radio nonstop, it really got under my skin (when she sang it on SNL, it wasn't really anything to change my mind).

I will give it credit though, the more times I have seen it, the more bearable it becomes. But still leave the amateur music videos to people on Youtube, they need a purpose in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment