Thursday, June 3, 2010

Leftist Rant

Heya, this is your friendly neighborhood editor/snarker speaking (the crossed-out commenter). As you can see, my name is RBYDark (though you can call me Ruby!). I was editing a review for the main contributor when I came across a line that I thought he honestly made up. I asked him about it, and he showed me, yes, it was real, said on the show, out of (of all people!) Marge's mouth.

"I'm left handed. I've been using my right hand all these years cause I didn't want to seem unusual in any way"

Sweet baby Jesus on a stick, where do I START?
First off, I myself am a lefty (and proud of it!). My right hand is only really used with scissors and a computer mouse - but, yeah, I'm not a rarity or even that unusual. I'm not exactly exactly common, but unusual? No one even notices I'm left-handed unless I point it out - contrary to what Marge says, I don't think ANYONE would find her unusual for being left-handed. In addition, approximately 10-15% of the world population (or U.S. population) is left-handed. I dunno about you, but I like them odds - there are probably more lefties in your life than you realize, Marge. Heck, your own SON and your next-door neighbor is left-handed.

Lastly, if you started left-handed but use your right hand for everything, you'll probably lose a decent portion of dexterity and strength in your left hand. In short, Marge, you'd become right-handed.
People, tell me how being left-handed is unusual, really. This isn't the Dark Ages, the left hand is not the Devil's Hand. Heck, we don't even attract notice until someone REALLY looks. And, Marge, really - you married the town idiot and raised the shooter of Mr. Burns, the hellraiser, and the temporary-MENSA member. You were labeled 'unusual' LONG ago.

Sources:
Unique Left Handed Facts

What causes some people to be left-handed, and why are fewer people left-handed than right-handed?

No comments:

Post a Comment